Saturday, June 23, 2012

1.5

Time was really flying in this town. At home it seemed as if life was passing me by, I didn't have to work or pay my own bills. Now it didn't seem like there was enough time in my life to do much at all. I'm still not as far along in my career as I wanted to be and I was really hoping for a man to come along earlier. Darren was nice, but some days he didn't want to hang out. He's always tired or just needs alone time. Those days I spend with Will! We usually just hang out and read, gossip about the townies, and discuss his manuscript. He still hasn't been published. I was beginning to wonder if he even mailed it out ever. He wouldn't even let me read it.

One day he looked particularly anxious about something. I pestered him until he finally cracked and told me what was on his mind.

"Midori, you're a really nice girl. I know you'd hate to be mean to anyone, but-" he paused, as if the words were hanging in his throat, but refused to come out.
"But what, Will? You can tell me anything, you're my best friend."
"Well,  I don't think Darren really loves you."
"Will, he tells me everyday that he does!"
"We see each other more than that jerk ever sees you! Plus, I heard he's a womanizer from my roommates. He doesn't love you, he just wants to check you off the list."
"Will, that's ridiculous. Maybe he was that way, but you should hear the things he says to me. He loves me, he's just used to his alone time."

Will still looked worried.

"Look," he exasperated after a few awkward moments of silence. He stepped closer to me. "I-I really like you and I just want you to be happy.."


"You're so beautiful, you deserve more than he is offering!" I stood there, kind of stunned by his words. I guess he took that as a sign to leave, because without saying another word he walked out. Will...liked me? I thought we were just friends...He was my best friend in Starlight Shores...well anywhere, in fact. I've never just lazed around and read books all day with someone, joked about trivial things with anyone. I've never done that with Darren. Darren...he was really like a knight in shining armor. He was strong and said all the right things. Though he's not around much, I like to imagine he's off on his horse fighting for freedom, fighting for our love!

I've never even been to his house before..He's been here plenty of times. Maybe I should surprise him! And it will take my mind off of what Willard said for awhile. He didn't live far, but I called a taxi anyway, so I wouldn't get lost. At least I could blame the driver if I did get lost this way. He seemed really surprised when he opened the door, "M-Midori! Hey..um.."
"Aren't you going to invite me inside, you big lug?" I gushed.
"Yeah...come on in," he opened the door, motioning for me to come inside, "What are you doing here?"
"I was having such terrible Darren withdrawals!! I just couldn't stand it anymore!" I leaned in for a kiss.


"Ugh, what are you doing?" He pulled away. "You're being so annoying!"


I didn't know how to respond. "Darren, I'm-"


"God, you just show up unexpected!" he scolded, "Why didn't you call or something? How would you know if I even wanted you to come over? This is ridiculous!" He was really mad.


"I'm sorry, Darren! I just really missed you and we haven't seen each other for a couple days. There was something I wanted to talk to you about, but it can wait until another time. I'm sorry, Darren, I didn't mean to be rude or disturb you! I love you..."

He sighed, "I love you too. Sorry for getting upset. It's just I'm really tired... and you know I need my alone time. How about I come over tomorrow, then we can talk about whatever you want, Princess!"


"Okay..." I sighed. We hugged each other good night and I went home. In bed that night I thought of all the things Will said today. I tried to drown him out with musings of Darren's love for me, but he kept floating back into my thoughts. I finally fell asleep.

I dreamt that I was back home, but instead of my arranged-husband sitting across the room from me, it was Darren. He just stared at me, no, not at me, past me. I turned to see what he was looking at. Nothing but emptiness. "Darren!" My voice sounded so quiet and far away. I tried to yell his name again, but it was lost in the silence. I attempted to walk towards him, but no matter how many steps I took he moved farther and farther away, then he started to laugh. Laugh and laugh and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment