Tuesday, July 31, 2012

2.2


Dad died the next morning. Mom was asleep. He was in the middle of writing a book, as always.


I guess Melody has some sort of sixth sense for this stuff, because all of a sudden she jumps up from sitting on the floor, mid-conversation with me and runs to my parent's room.


"Oh my grosh, Maddox! Hurry!"


I didn't know what was happening, I just ran as fast as I could. I saw a tall shadowing figure in the corner and my Dad... he was deathly white. I called for him, my voice sounded small and desperate over the roar of Death. Mom suddenly woke up, maybe she heard me. Her cries filled the room, she sounded so sad. I'll never forget her crying out for him. He didn't even seem to hear us.


Then it was all over. He was gone, the shadowy guy was gone. I felt like my world was closing in, everything was going black. Dad..he's never coming back. He was the only stable one in this family and now...he left me. He left me alone. Was this on purpose? Why did he leave me now? It was getting harder and harder to breathe. Then...


Everything was blank.


I don't know how long I was out. Melody woke me, she seemed worried. She told me it was okay, that he was in a better place. She said she was sorry, for calling me to witness my father's death. At least it was of natural causes, she said. I heard cries coming from the bathroom when she woke me up. They were my Mom's. Her crying made me angry.


"I lost consciousness and she didn't even help me?" I asked Melody.
"Oh, Maddox!" she sobbed, "your mom, she's really upset, please understand she probably didn't mean to leave you passed out!"
I didn't care. She's not the only one that lost someone she loved. I think she should try to be here and stable for my sisters and especially me, being the youngest. Also witnessing my Father's death is not ideal for someone my age. I've read that somewhere.


I couldn't resist the strong urge to walk in and yell at her. Melody tried to stop me, I don't care. My Dad just died and was whisked away by some shadowy man and Mom left me on the floor. What if I died, too? She didn't even think twice about me, I guess.


"You left me! You left me in there alone! What if that thing took me with him and Dad!?" I screamed at her. I waved my fists at her, like I was going to hit her. I wanted to I was so angry. "What if it took me away?" My eyes were becoming cloudy with hot tears and when I couldn't see her through them anymore, when I couldn't see the silent, sad look she was giving me, I broke. I started sobbing uncontrollably. She took me into her arms, she was so warm. "I know you're upset, baby," she whispered weakly, "I'm sorry.." And we both sat on the bathroom floor and cried for what seemed like forever.

Dad died the day before my birthday. I wasn't expecting a celebration at all, but Mom had arranged one anyway. She said Dad would want us to carry on like normal and that would mean having a birthday party just like my sisters had when they became teenagers. She invited one kid from my elementary school, but had my sisters invite their teenage friends. She said I needed to get to know the other teenagers in town, I don't really care for knowing any of them. I have Melody, she's the only friend I need.


Mandy ended up inviting all her friends, Mako didn't bring any of hers. She says they don't want to be at a party full of snobby preps and jocks. Mom was working, I'm not sure if she scheduled the party during her gig on purpose or not. She said she'd try to make it back before it ended. She was in high demand and so close to reaching her dream that she couldn't afford to miss the show. Mandy of course had to show off her and Daren's relationship, I guess they were going steady. Mako whispered to me that good girl Mandy wasn't really what she seemed and I would see at school. Mako called her names and claimed that her making out with Daren in front of everyone proved they were true. I didn't provide any opinions, it would just encourage Mako.


I tried to wait for Mom, but the kids started complaining about wanting to leave. It was getting pretty late so I decided to just do the cake thing. At least my sisters and Melody were there. Mako lit the candles, meanwhile Mandy grabbed me by the shoulders and hugged me. "Don't forget to make a wish, Little Brother." Mako kissed me on the cheek and pushed me towards the cake. My sisters rarely showed affection for me, especially in front of each other. They were always more concentrated on themselves. They started cheering for me, the kids I didn't know were celebrating with me. It was the first time I've seen my sisters not fighting each other within such a close vicinity. I think I wished that my family, my sisters and Melody, could stay that happy, or something.


Becoming a teenager is weird. I felt the same...but different. Like, that blonde girl was looking kind of cute.


Melody didn't seem to like it when I told her that. She was so weird sometimes.

Mom came home about an hour after the party ended. I was already in her room waiting for her, talking with Melody, when she came in asking if she could talk to me. Apparently while in the park warming up for her show there was a group of people watching her do some tricks. A heckler came along to the front of the group and started booing her right away.


He was saying nasty things to her and she just tried to ignore him. She started thinking about Dad and how he would always encourage her to do her best. Then something weird happened. The man just died. Right there in front of everyone, in the middle of the park.


"I think your father sent the Grim Reaper to collect him!"
"Mom, that's crazy. Dad didn't send the Grim Reaper, um, is that the shadowy man Dad went with?"
"Yes! Except, your father, Will, his ghost willingly went with the Grim Reaper. He shook his hand, he knew it was his time!" She looked crazed. "This man, he begged Death not to take him!"


"Your dad was protecting me, but I realized he can't protect us or take care of us anymore." She paused, I was afraid of what she might say next. She wasn't making very much sense. Dad protecting her from beyond the grave? But now he can't? "Mom, Dad isn't just going to kill everyone that treats you badly." She thought about what she was saying, I think, and took a deep breath. "I'm just trying to say, Maddox, that your father isn't there for you anymore and I'm not going to be around much longer either. I need you to finish what your father and I started. Bring honor to my name."



I didn't know what she meant by honor. She said she would leave me everything. I'm not sure if she was going crazy or what. I was in charge of the house and I wasn't allowed to leave, she worked hard for this house and I had to complete it. I had the decide whether or not my sisters were allowed to stay and if something should happen to me before I have children I should choose one to take over. She was definitely going crazy, Dad's death was not going well for her. I ultimately agreed to continue her crazy legacy. I guess it's not a bad thing if I get all the inheritance.


We didn't know Makoto was listening next door. I was making my way to the bathroom in the morning when Makoto pushed me back into my room. "I heard what Mom was saying to you last night, Maddox. I think it's great and all, but don't you think it's a little unfair to me?" Her expression was sincere, I think. She looked worried and sad, like Mom forgot about her again.


"You know they've always like Mandarin better! They've given her opportunities to use her talents and build her skills. She's probably going to become some famous musician while I'm stuck in the shadows, like I've been forever! Please Maddox, don't let Mom leave me with nothing. You're my only brother!" I'm not sure why she was so worried about not receiving an inheritance. I guess she was tired of not being the favorite. I just told her I didn't understand exactly what was going on and that she will always be my sister.



That night Mandy was doing her homework in my room and I told her about Mako cornering me. She just told me she was jealous that Mandy and I were going to be successful in life and just to ignore her.


I was reading during one of Mako's workouts later on in the week. "Remember what we talked about?" She asked, for some unknown reason. "Yeah?" I was confused, Dad's death really took a toll on this family. She asked if she could talk to me outside, so I followed her. "That slore Mandy told me you told her what I said." Her eyes bored into me. "Look, Mandy, I love you guys, both of you, and I'm willing to share my inheritance with you both. I just can't take all the fighting you guys do and I'll kick one of you, if not both of you, out if you continue with this crazy stuff!"


Then she blew up at me. "You're such an ungrateful brat!" she screamed. "I'm the one that played with you when you were little while Mandy, Mom, and Dad were caught up in their own worlds! I can't believe you, Maddox! I thought you were my brother! How could you tell Mandy!"
"Lay off, Mako!"


She slapped me. "Don't speak to me like that!" Her face was red. "After all I've done for you!" She was really making me feel bad. She was so emotional. I know Mom and Dad would always pay more attention to Mandy and I felt guilty for that. "You can't give anything to her!" I rubbed my cheek while I thought about it, it stung a little. She looked desperate, I'm not sure what for.


"You know I need your help, Maddox," she pleaded.
"Fine, Mako. Whatever you say."

No comments:

Post a Comment